A Short Lesson in Modern French Slang

Bon Chic Bon Genre. Observe the first letter in each word and say them as one word. "Baysaybayzhay." Say that more quickly and there it is, "Baisebeige!" Translated, it refers to people who think they're all that. I am exploring the changing values of world culture and expressing through dress the evolving image of the pillar of our modern society.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

It's Valentine's Day in July!


Sometimes I have an idea in the back of my mind that has real desire attached to it and that idea will become powerful. Sooner or later the results will manifest and my current Baisebeige Studios project is exactly the result of one of those powerful ideas and the timing is exactly perfect. Immediately after my Quality Junk Sale, a friend called me and offered me the entire contents of a crafter's studio. This lady has been in a long-term health care facility for many years with Alzheimer's disease and she will spend the rest of her life there. Her house is being cleaned out for sale. My friend brought me NINE large boxes of vintage craft items including a LOT of yarn. There was a lot of RED yarn which thrilled me because the idea in the back of my mind waiting to become real was making red scarves for the Red Scarf Project!
I often knit for charity and when I read about the Red Scarf Project, I knew that I wanted to participate! The organization called Foster Care to Success provides care packages to students who have aged out of the foster care system and are now attending college. Anyone who has lived in a college dormitory will remember the tables full of flowers in the lobby and mailboxes stuffed with greetings. If the love of your life didn't come through with the goods, the family sure did! Not having the care packages at the peak of winter bleak can be a very lonely thing. I knew when I read about this project I wanted to make some of the scarves for the packages. It's an especially cool thing to do where I live because this house was once a very, very happy foster home about 40 years ago! Every kid who grew up in Woodruff Place during this time had great memories of playing here with the foster children. It seems that everyone had an age-appropriate favorite friend! My landlord went to high school with some of the kids. That's where he got the idea to buy the house someday. See, ideas are powerful things!

If you have the idea to participate in the Red Scarf Project, click the link below for more information! Even if you are not a hand knitter, you can participate by donating gift cards for the care packages! The timing is exactly right to start knitting now. You can see my progress on the first of five scarves, which is the maximum single person gift. Donations are accepted from September 1st through December 15th only. I'm taking advantage of the down time from moving back into my renovated room (and building out the BathroomFarm) by making an Irish Hiking Scarf from one of the patterns provided by the project. I will need to deviate from these because the yarn is mostly mixed dye lots which means the colors will vary a little but I can be creative in a tone-on-tone way and make this work! Yes, red is truly an inspiring and motivating color for passion!

No comments:

Post a Comment