A Short Lesson in Modern French Slang

Bon Chic Bon Genre. Observe the first letter in each word and say them as one word. "Baysaybayzhay." Say that more quickly and there it is, "Baisebeige!" Translated, it refers to people who think they're all that. I am exploring the changing values of world culture and expressing through dress the evolving image of the pillar of our modern society.

Monday, April 4, 2011

WINNING! I've "Got it in the Bag!"

I have been taking my own bags to the store and everywhere else for approximately 30 years. I simply prefer having my own bags and simply prefer to not have a mess of disposable bags at home. It was a behavior that I developed during punk rock because I had noticed that people are very connected to luxury store bags. Funny. Even beyond the consumerism mentality of BEing your stuff, some people actually seemed to BE the bag the stuff came in!

Taking my own bag to the store has historically caused a LOT of problems. Being sensitive to the issues connected to retail loss prevention, I always surrendered my bag upon entering the store. However, it seemed sometimes that retailers were displeased that I didn't voluntarily advertise for them by displaying their mini-billboard bag logos out and about in public places. I began to accept the fact that having my own bag meant that I packed my purchases into that bag. Just because I have my own bag does not mean that I do not expect the same service as everyone else!

Good things are happening and environmental awareness has inspired a revolution of reusable bag-toting in America. The same stores that hassled me are trying to sell me their own brand of bags. Furthermore, entire communities have BANNED the use of disposable
bags. The recycling triangle is a lie. Most plastic bags, after their average 12 minute use end up in the landfills or littered in the environment. Now is the time to decide to use your own bag and to get used to it before the behavior is required.

I have an entire wardrobe of reusable bags, each one suitable exactly to meet my needs. This is my newest bag and already my favorite! I WON THIS in the Green Gifts Guide EcoMonday giveaway on twitter and couldn't be happier with it! The bag was designed by Aubrey Lenyard at Fashionable Notes who is a genius! Please browse this site for an amazing selection of beautiful and useful totes to stylishly assimilate into your everyday life!
I walk my green talk and walk everywhere or ride transit. I do limit myself to one trip per month to the grocery store in a passenger vehicle, however I do need to make numerous purchases of fresh foods in addition to that and carry them home on the bus. Look at the roominess of the Fashionable Notes market bag! This is my personal weight limit for a grocery trip and the bag still has plenty of room! It's study enough to handle all this weight and I like the Velcro closure on top to keep the items under control.

The bag is washable which is a BIG consideration because I an perpetually bringing sometimes messy food items home in totes. Another feature that is well designed is the length of the handles. They are long enough to comfortably fit over coat sleeves because my green lifestyle is an everyday occasion and not a fair-weather game. Plus the handles are long enough to shift the bag to rest against my back in case my purchase is heavy. Sometimes, I am lazy and wheel the cart around the store instead of carrying the basket which is useful in helping me gauge weight and volume of items.

My Eco Chic tote from Fashionable Notes is going to be my ideal companion for every outing requiring hands-free carrying which is seriously just about everything. Perhaps, I also develop attachments to my tote bags but it believe it's different from the collectors of store bags past. MY Bag is always about function, comfort and sustainable lifestyle. Now it can be more stylish, too! Watch for "EcoChic ME" at a farmer's market, public library or cultural event sometime soon!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to make some totes out of my hen feed bags. I do my best to remember to take my own in but if I made them maybe I would remember better. ;) This is lovely. Tara

    ReplyDelete